Are you looking forward to assembling a high-performance PC or a gaming PC, then you will require a good motherboard.
Your motherboard is the main part of the system to which all the other parts are connected. Most of the issues on your system can be identified by looking back into the motherboard, as it is an integral part of the system. This consists of a lack of overclocking performance.
Motherboards with Socket AM3+ are specially build for AMD’s Line of Bulldozer processors. Several CPUs which have piledriver architecture are compatible with the AM3+ socket motherboards.
Most of the Bulldozer processors are compatible with Socket AM3+ motherboards – FX-43xx (four thread processors), FX-63xx (six thread processors), and FX-83xx (eight thread processors). Please note that Piledriver A-Series processors are not compatible with the AM3+ motherboard, you will require a motherboard with FM2 for these CPUs.
In the last few years, various firms have started developing motherboards. Hence, you may find it challenging to decide which motherboard I should buy. To resolve your issue, here we will provide a list of Best Socket AM3+ Motherboards.
Without much ado, let’s get started:
Best Socket AM3+ Motherboards for Gaming 2020: Reviews & Comparison of Top 5
1. ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z
ASUS is the first name that comes in my mind when I talk about the best AM3+ motherboards. The motherboard features high-quality design with a lot of overclocking features. Talking about the performance, it is available at an affordable price and also holds the majority of the world records as well.
It consists of Extreme Engine Digi+ II, which is a great combination of both analog and digital design elements. It allows accurate adjustments to build higher efficiency, stability, and performance for total system control. It also consists of SuperFX III, which provides a terrific gaming experience.
This motherboard has an excellent heat waste, which enables for stable overclocking of sometimes hot FX processors and prevents from any issues which can occur from other components.
If you are looking for a motherboard with standard overclocking performance, then don’t go for it. This motherboard can provide the best gaming performance for your gaming rig.
- Supports up to 32GB of DDR3 2400 (OC)
- Three PCIe 2.0 x 16 ports, 8 SATA Gb/s connections
- 8 USB 2.0 and 4 USB 3.0 slots
- Onboard video in Super FXII which makes sound card obsolete
- 3 Qay SLI/CrossFire X
- Supercharged LAN
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z is suitable for mid and high-end builds, which can benefit more performance adjustment. Lower-end builds can go with a standard board so that they can allocate the right amount to other components.
2. ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0
If you are looking forward to any other Overclocking option, then you can opt for ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0. The quality of heat excess is the same as Formula-Z; the motherboard is suitable for anyone who doesn’t want to get modern features.
This motherboard falls in our list of Best Socket AM3+ Motherboards. It has a pretty amazing overclocking potential. Also, the UEFI BIOS of the board is quick and simple to set up.
It features TUF Thermal Radar for real-time thermal detection with professional user mode for customized settings. It consists of TUF Capacitors, Chokes, and MOSFETS approved by the Military standard to provide exceptional durability. Lastly, it also features a DIGI+ power control system for both CPU and DRAM.
- Three PCIe 2.0×16, One PCIe 2.0×16, One PCIe 2.0×1 and lastly 1x PCI
- Six SATA 6Gb/s ports
- 4 DDR3 RAM slots which support up to 32GB RAM
- It supports Quad-GPU SLI and CrossFireX Technology
- It features Realtek ALC892 9-Channel HD Audio Codec
- It includes 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 Ports in mid-board, 4 USB 3.1 Gen 1 Ports for the back panel
- It features 12 USB 2.0/1.1 port(s) (Out of which 8 are in the back panel, and 4 are in the mid-board)
- It comes with AMD Cool n Quiet Technology
3. Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Gigabyte is one of the most popular brands when we talk about motherboards. It supports the latest AM3+ FX/AM3 Phenom II series, processors. It has a great 8+2 phase CPU VRM power design for AMD high-TDP CPU Support.
It features three PCIe 2,0 connections for 2Way AMD CrossFireX and SLI multi-graphics support. AMD SB950 offers 6 native SATA 3 ports with very high 6GBps link speed and RAID 0, 1, 5 and 10 support.
This motherboard supports USB 3.0 with awesome transfer speed up to 5 Gbps, and Gigabyte 3x USB Power along with On/Off Charge USB ports. It consists of highly durable 3 Classic Technology with copper cooled technology for lower working temperature. Turbo XHD allows you to speed up the performance of the hard drive.
The motherboard is developed with a technology that helps to save energy. It features patented Dual Bios with Hybrid EFI Technology which supports HDD up to 3TB. Lastly, it supports Dolby Home Theater Audio.
- Six SATA 6 Gb/s connectors which support up to 6 SATA 6Gb/s devices. Also, it has two eSATA 6Gb/s connectors on the back panel which supports 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices
- Four 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets that support up to 32GB RAM.
- Support for DDR3 2000 (O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules
- Realtek ALC889 HD codec
- Expansion slots:
- Two PCI Express X 16 slots running at x16,
- One PCI Express X 4 slots running at x4,
- Two PCI Express X 1 slot,
- 1 PCI slot
- Multiple Graphics Technology
- NVIDIA Quad-GPU SLI and 2-Way NVIDIA SLI Technology
- AMD Quad-GPU CrossFireX™ and 2-Way AMD CrossFire™ Technologies
4. MSI 970 Gaming
MSI is one of the most popular brands which has lately entered into the gaming industry; however, the firm has maintained its position. It falls under our list of Best Socket AM3+ Motherboards.
Talking about the design, the black and red theme of the board is awesome, and it suits well to the high-end hardware of rig. Apart from this, it has Shielded audio, including quality parts and full SLI and Crossfire, which benefits you in many ways.
The motherboard provides Audio Boost which is backed up by Nahimic Sound Technology. In this motherboard, Advanced Military Class 4 Components are used.
There are mainly two components, which include Super Ferrite Chokes and Solid Cap. Super Ferrite Chokes operates at 35 degree Celsius lower temperature, have a 30% more current capacity, and a 20% increase in power efficiency and overclocking power stability.
Using the aluminum core design, Solid Caps are specially designed for a high-end design motherboard. Solid Caps offers lower Equivalent Series Resistance (ESR) and work simply for over 10 years.
The current UEFI BIOS system is fully rebuilt and consists of a lot of system builder’s options. Starting with M-Flash for simple BIOS flashing to highly advanced protection and security, Click BIOS provides you with all the tools to protect as well as enhance the system.
MSI motherboard includes a highly reliable gaming device port which offers the best connectivity for a high-end gaming mouse to fully use its speed.
Smart fan control allows you to control all the fans present on the motherboard. This feature is useful for gamers and overclockers as they will be able to track the status of the fans, set profiles, and record fan speed.
- Motherboard supports AMD FX/ Phenom II/ Athlon II/ Sempron II processors for AM3+ socket.
- The heatsink is purposefully oversized to offer the best thermal transfer and heat dissipation. Hence, you can play 24 hours per day.
- It features the Audio Boost 2 technology which provides the best quality audio experience directly from built-in ALC 1150 codec.
- It has 4x Memory in DDR3
- Two PCIe 2.0x 16 Slots, two PCIe 2.0×1 Slots, 2 PCI Slots
- Six SATA3 ports
- Four USB 3.0 Ports (2 rear, 2 headers), Fourteen USB 2.0 Ports (8 rear, 6 via headers)
- Killer Ethernet and Killer Gigabit LAN
5. ASUS M5A97 AM3+
If you are on a tight budget for your components, then you can go with the ASUS M5A97 AM3+. You get a quality board at such an affordable price and can allocate more money to the rest of the components.
In under $80, the motherboard provides all the features you need for an affordable PC build.
The motherboard includes an AMD 970/SB950 chipset and supports the newest AMD Socket AM3+ for 8-core processors. Using the latest socket AM3+, it offers ease of use of AM3 and AM3+, thus providing users to choose from current or previous AMD CPUs.
ASUS Exclusive Design features an EPU (Energy Processing Unit) and the TPU (TurboV Processing Unit), which claims to offer high-quality performance for all the tasks, thus offering users excellent performance.
Network iControl allows users for real-time bandwidth allocation control to ensure sufficient bandwidth usage.
- 4x DIMM, DDR3 RAM, Max RAM Capacity of 32GB
- Six SATA 6Gb/s connectors which support RAID 0,1,5,10
- Remote GO- One Stop Solution for PC Remote Control and Home Entertainment
- Realtek ALC887 8-Channel HD Audio CODEC
- UEFI BIOS, which provides simple and adjustable BIOS Interface
- Directkey to access the BIOS directly
- One PCIe 2.0×16 (blue), one PCIe 2.0×16 (x4 mode, black), two PCIe 2.0×1, two PCI
- USB 3.0 Boost which enables Quick USB 3.0 Transmission with UASP
- It makes USB BIOS Flashback quick and easy due to hardware design
Which Motherboard will you require for your AMD Processor?
Compatibility: While assembling AMD Gaming PC, you will get the best return based on the amount you spent. AMD’s FX-Series allows you to achieve this. Initially, you must be looking for an AM3+ motherboard. All the above-listed motherboards are compatible with the FX series, and also Phenom II, Athlon II, and the Sempron 100 Series processors.
AMD APUs: One of the most amazing launches in the last few years by AMD is their APUs. APU stands for Accelerated Processing Unit. Anyone who is on budget and wants to improve its performance can go with APUs.
AMD mainly needs to make sure that multiple generations of processors are compatible with motherboards, AMD’s Llano APU needs the socket FM1 motherboards. Trinity and Richland motherboards need the FM2 socket. Lately, the Kaveri series needs the FM2+ socket which is backwards compatible with Trinity and Richard.
How can I check whether the AMD AM3 processor is compatible with the motherboard or not?
Currently, if you possess an AM3 motherboard and planning to upgrade to something compatible with AMD’s latest Zambezi processors, then it is essential to check if your motherboard is compatible with AMD’s Bulldozer architecture Zambezi processors. Secondly, you have to check if the new motherboard is compatible with it or not.
To check whether your motherboard is compatible or not, go to the manufacturer’s AM3+ compatible webpage and enter necessary details and check it.
Here, we have provided Best Socket AM3+ Motherboards Reviews by considering a lot of different factors. You can purchase any of the motherboards from the list as per your requirement and budget. We hope that you like our list of Best Socket AM3+ Motherboards.
Lastly, don’t forget to share this list with your friends and followers.